Philly Self Defense / 36 Chambers Vale Tudo
1333 North Front Street
Philadelphia, Pa 19122
Allen Chambers was first exposed to Martial Arts when he was 8 years old and participated in karate for several years. He was always encouraged to be involved in sports and fitness and it was during his college years that he discovered a passion for teaching and mentoring while working at a local Charter School.
After college, the need to push physical boundaries past monotonous cardio and weightlifting lead him to return to martial arts. Physical and mental conditioning are what interested him the most. Self-defense was the motivation for learning various art forms and the inspiration to teach and coach others. Grappling arts and Brazilan Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) have become his focus, with a passion to learn and teach the technical aspects of grappling in its many forms.
Grappling, along with martial arts have become a lifestyle rather than just a hobby. The fascination with Jitsu Jitsu continued to intrigue Allen and in order to be the most complete grappler possible he started to cross train in CSW, and judo regularly. In the last few years he has added the addition of Jeet Kune Do and Filipino Martial Arts. His goal? To be the technically efficient and well rounded in Practical Self Defense. To achieve this goal, Allen has continued to travel throughout the east coast and train in various arts including Boxing, WW2 Combatives, MMA, and Muay Thai. The passion for seeking out the best instructors has not only created great relationships, but has helped him pick up some unique skills along the way and has developed a unique style all his own.
“With a background in Retail and Event Security, it is important to not just learn how to ‘fight” but to learn responsible and practical ways to defend yourself. I feel there is no reason why anyone should not possess the ability.”
Credentials and accomplishments:
For nearly two decades Allen has been involved in a wide variety of martial arts, self-defense, military combatives, defensive tactics and functional fitness training. In that time Allen has obtained black belts and instructor ranking in more than half a dozen disciplines.
- Founder of Philly Self Defense, CVT Method and University of Self Defense
- CSW (Combat Submission Wrestling) Pro Coach Level 2
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt – Under Sensei Erik Paulson
- SAW (Submission Arts Wrestling) 2nd Dan Black Belt
- Pankration (Delta Taxis) 2nd Degree Black Belt
- ISWA (International Submission Wrestling Alliance) Coach Level 1
- USA Wrestling Bronze Level Coach
- Jeet Kune Do & Kali Full Instructor under Sifu Joe Nophut Rogue Martial Arts
- JKDAA Jeet Kune Do & Kali Apprentice Instructor – under Sigung Harinder Singh JKDAA
- SpecOps Kali & Military JKD Level 3 – under Sigung Harinder Singh JKDAA
- FCS Kali (Filipino Combat Systems) Philadelphia Training Group Leader
- FCS Kali Level One Rank
- Dos Manos Eskrima Apprentice Instructor – under Ralph Grasso
- Small Circle JuTrapBoxing Level 2 Finger Locking – Professor James Hundon
- STX Kickboxing Coach Level 1 – Under Sensei Erik Paulson
- Combat Hard Handgun Combatives Practitioner Level 2 – under Steve Mosely
- NRA Certified Pistol Practical
- PFT Certified Intermediate Pistol
- PFT Certified High Intensity Pistol
- LEASOT Certified Tactical Handcuffing
- Certified PATH Practical and Tactical Handcuffing
- Certified OCAT Oleoresin Capsicum Aerosol Training
- Certified MEB Monadnock Expandable Baton
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute – Active Shooter, Workplace Violence Awareness
Philly Self Defense / 36 Chambers Vale Tudo
We utilize a combination of techniques and concepts from various arts, that have been modified for real world applications, for both standing and groundfighting. Most importantly the concepts behind Philly Self Defense allows individuals of any size, strength or athletic ability to quickly learn. This makes it a perfect fit for all ages including women, men and children.
The art of Jeet Kune Do (JKD) plays a major role in our curriculum and JKD’s methodology and concepts encompass both the physical and mental aspects of our realistic self defense training. Much like JKD itself, we take an integrated approach to grappling that consists of sensitivity in flowing with positioning, escapes, take-downs, throws, lockups and ground fighting from Combat Submission Wrestling (CSW), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Filipino Dumog, Submission Arts Wrestling (SAW,) Catch Wrestling (Catch-as-catch-can) and WWII combatives.
Our goal is to provide individuals with the tools to survive deadly or harmful encounters while utilizing an anything goes approach to self defense.